How can you tell if your immune system is functioning properly? Discover what a strong immune system feels like PLUS 8 ways to strengthen your immune system for long-term health.
From more obvious things like fevers and infections to more subtle items like constant fatigue, it’s fairly easy to tell when your immune system may be weak. But how are you supposed to know when your immune system is functioning properly?
This is one of those questions that’s both simple and strangely complicated. Think about it like this—when someone says their car ISN’T working, it could be any number of things (leaky radiator, poor alignment, dead battery, etc.). Conversely, if you ask someone how they know their car IS working, they may give you a funny look and say, “Well, it just works. I drive and don’t notice problems.”
It’s the same with your immune system. When it’s working well, you don’t really think about it. When you’re sick, however, you notice.
So, what does a healthy immune system really feel like?
If you’re here, it probably means you already know a bit about your immune system. That being said, it still helps to review a few basics. Don’t worry, we’ll keep it brief, but won’t hold it against you if you skip ahead.
First, it helps to think of your immune system like the security or defense department for your body. You’re regularly exposed to a variety of stimuli—allergens, germs, and even injuries—and your immune system analyzes ALL of them. It’s so thorough, it even reacts to stimuli like emotional distress or digestive tract issues.
The bi-directional connection between your gut and brain is what’s known as the gut-brain axis and it has a HUGE influence on your immune system. As your immune system analyzes various stimuli (even digestive stimuli), it does a threat assessment and determines what type of response is needed.
For sprains, it sends additional white blood cells to the area to help heal and protect. When it comes to allergies, your immune system has already carefully identified them and has a pre-planned response that usually involves itching, sneezing, watery eyes, etc. Basically, your immune system is constantly working to protect, heal, and maintain your overall wellness.
What Does a Weak Immune System Feel Like?
The following is a list of signs you may have a weak or compromised immune system:
- Constantly feeling tired or sluggish
- Sudden fevers (or a moderately elevated fever over a long period of time)
- Body aches
- You often catch colds and your recovery time is longer than average
- Frequent gastrointestinal distress (diarrhea, stomach cramps, gas, etc.)
- Stress (or feeling stressed about items that previously didn’t cause stress)
- Slow wound healing
- Regular infections
- Changes in skin complexion (dullness, breakouts, eczema, etc.)
- Regularly using over-the-counter meds to get through the day (NSAIDs, decongestants, cough suppressants, etc.)
Just experiencing one or two items doesn’t automatically mean your immune system is compromised. Maybe you just pulled an all-nighter to prep for a big meeting and really need to catch up on your sleep. However, if you’ve experienced any of these for longer than a few days, you may have a weak or compromised immune system.
8 Ways to Strengthen Your Immune System for Long-Term Health
It may take some practice at first, but developing long-term habits that promote immune health will have an incredibly positive impact on your physical and mental wellness.
- Develop a regular sleep schedule so it’s easier to get 7+ hours of sleep each night.
- Eat a diet rich in vitamins, minerals, and necessary nutrients. Treat meals won’t ruin your progress if you’re regular diet promotes wellness.
- Drink plenty of water. Seriously, hydration never goes out of style.
- Maintain good hygiene and wash your hands on a regular basis.
- Exercise regularly to promote healthy digestion, metabolism, heart health, lymphatic drainage, and stimulate your immune system.
- Develop stress-management techniques. Stress is a part of life, but letting it overwhelm you can have a negative impact on your immune system.
- Get some sunshine! While it’s not always the case, sometimes a weak immune system happens naturally when you don’t get enough Vitamin D. Don’t overdo it, but a bit of sunshine will strengthen your immune system AND your attitude.
- Take high-quality supplements to bridge any nutritional gaps. This ensures your body is getting everything it needs to function properly.
Habits like these will help strengthen your immune system. And when your immune system is strong, you’ll definitely feel the difference. So, what exactly does a strong immune system feel like?
What Does A Strong Immune System Feel Like?
Sadly, there’s not really an at-home test you can use to check the strength of your immune system. If your doctor thinks it’s necessary, they may perform blood tests to monitor specific types of cells associated with your immune system. It’s also important to remember that getting an occasional cold is very normal.
According to the CDC, it’s common for adults to come down with a cold a few times a year. Does that mean those people have weak immune systems? Not necessarily. It’s more about how fast their immune system helps them heal and recover from injuries, infections, or illnesses.
So, what does a strong immune system feel like? While everyone is different, here are a few signs your immune system is healthy and strong:
- Sustained energy throughout the day
- You’re not particularly susceptible to colds or other common illnesses (and when you do catch them, you recover within an average amount of time).
- Healthy digestion
- Normal wound healing
- Mostly clear skin
- No fever
Again, it’s important to take this with a grain of salt. For many women, determining immune health solely based on “clear skin” is pretty risky when you consider how fluctuating hormones impact acne. If your digestion is suddenly less than perfect, take a look at any recent dietary changes before assuming you have a weak immune system.
Keep Your Immune System Healthy With A High-Quality Nutrition Supplement
Even when you’re doing all the right things, sometimes life throws you a curveball. That’s why finding a high-quality nutrition supplement can be such a game-changer. That way, you can rest assured knowing your immune system is ready if you drop the ball on nutrition, fitness, or stress management.
Just make sure you’re using a supplement that ensures ingredient purity. That’s why we only use Beta-Glucan 1, 3/1, 6-D (found in Baker’s Yeast) in our amazing beta-glucan supplement, Glucan85Plus. Plus, unlike other beta-glucan supplements that only guarantee 70% purity, we guarantee 85% purity and have added additional immune-boosting ingredients like Vitamin C and D3, Zinc, and Organic Echinacea and Organic Elderberry.
Try Glucan85Plus today to experience the life-changing benefits of a healthy immune system in a convenient, easy-to-swallow capsule.