Is your fatigue from a weak immune system or just from a lack of sleep? What about the low-grade fever you’ve been experiencing? Read on and discover 10 signs of a weak immune system.
Did you know the CDC says it’s completely normal for adults to come down with a cold a few times a year? Does that mean those people have weak immune systems? Not necessarily.
Those colds the CDC says are so common—think of them as a marathon for your immune system. Just like runners, a strong immune system has the training and resources to tackle a “marathon.” It may be pretty tired afterward, but it still made it across the finish line and can recover properly.
So, coming down with a cold every once in a while doesn’t mean your immune system is weak. It’s more about how fast your immune system helps you heal and recover from injuries, infections, or illnesses.
If that’s the case, how can you tell when your immune system is genuinely weak? When should you see a doctor about it? Is there anything you can do to boost your immune system? Keep reading for ten signs your immune system may be weak and learn what you can do about it.
If you’re here, it probably means you already know a bit about your immune system. That being said, it still helps to review a few basics. Don’t worry, we’ll keep it brief, but won’t hold it against you if you skip ahead.
First, it helps to think of your immune system like the security or defense department for your body. You’re regularly exposed to a variety of stimuli—allergens, germs, and even injuries—and your immune system analyzes ALL of them. It’s so thorough, it even reacts to stimuli like emotional distress or digestive tract issues.
The bi-directional connection between your gut and brain is what’s known as the gut-brain axis and it has a HUGE influence on your immune system. If this is news to you, then prepare to have your mind blown. According to the Journal of Translational Immunology, your gut plays a central role in immune regulation and roughly 70% of the tissue associated with the immune system is found in your gut.
|Pro Tip: Being aware of your gut-brain axis is an important part of overall wellness. For example, many nutritionists recommend foods with beta-glucan because it has powerful immune-supporting properties (that’s on top of heart, blood sugar, and respiratory health). Eating these foods, or taking a beta-glucan supplement, means beta-glucan will interact with your immune system in a pivotal place in your body for maximum effectiveness.|
As your immune system analyzes various stimuli (even digestive stimuli), it does a threat assessment and determines what type of response is needed. For sprains, it sends additional white blood cells to the area to help heal and protect. When it comes to allergies, your immune system has already carefully identified them and has a pre-planned response that usually involves itching, sneezing, watery eyes, etc.
Basically, a healthy immune system is constantly working to protect, heal, and maintain your overall wellness. When your immune system doesn’t have the resources it needs, however, you’ll probably start to notice the following signs.
What Does a Weak Immune System Feel Like?
The following is a list of signs you may have a weak or compromised immune system:
- Constantly feeling tired or sluggish
- Sudden fevers (or a moderately elevated fever over a long period of time)
- Body aches
- You often catch colds and your recovery time is longer than average
- Frequent gastrointestinal distress (diarrhea, stomach cramps, gas, etc.)
- Stress (or feeling stressed about items that previously didn’t cause stress)
- Slow wound healing
- Regular infections
- Changes in skin complexion (dullness, breakouts, eczema, etc.)
- Regularly using over-the-counter meds to get through the day (NSAIDs, decongestants, cough suppressants, etc.)
Just experiencing one or two items doesn’t automatically mean your immune system is compromised. Maybe you just pulled an all-nighter to prep for a big meeting and really need to catch up on your sleep. However, if you’ve experienced any of these for longer than a few days, you may have a weak or compromised immune system.
Quick Ways to Naturally Boost Your Immune System
If you believe you’re sick, it’s always best to consult with your doctor. They’ll be able to determine if you’re simply overworked or if something else is going on.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle long-term is obviously going to be way more beneficial than waiting until you don’t feel good to make any changes. However, we also know that life happens. So, while we recommend integrating immune health into your long-term wellness goals, the following tips will give you a quick 24-hour boost to your immunity:
- Take a nap. The CDC says adults should aim for at least 7 hours of sleep a day, but if you’re hitting that and still feeling run down, then sneak a nap into your day.
- Drink extra water! Your lymphatic system helps rid your body of waste and toxins, but it functions more effectively when you’re hydrated.
- Speaking of your lymphatic system, it may come as a shock to hear that it doesn’t have a natural “pump” to keep things moving. Your natural body movements keep that system chugging along. That doesn’t mean you need to take a jog, but some light stretching and a short walk can help.
- Eat a healthy meal with plenty of vitamins, minerals, and necessary nutrients.
- Take high-quality supplements to bridge any nutritional gaps. This ensures your body is getting everything it needs to function properly. Generally, supplements need time to be effective. So the sooner you start using a nutritional supplement, the faster you’ll see results.
Support Your Immune System With A High-Quality Supplement
Whether you’re concerned about the strength of your immunity, or simply trying to prevent future immune system issues, a supplement can be a game-changer. Just make sure you’re using a high-quality supplement that ensures ingredient purity. Your immune system can tell the difference!
We only use Beta-Glucan 1, 3/1, 6-D (found in Baker’s Yeast) in our Glucan85Plus supplement because we demand high-quality ingredients. Plus, unlike other beta-glucan supplements that only guarantee 70% purity, we guarantee 85% purity and have added additional immune-boosting ingredients like Vitamin C and D3, Zinc, and Organic Echinacea and Organic Elderberry.
Remember that your immune system won’t change overnight. However, using a supplement like Glucan85Plus in combination with a healthy lifestyle will put you on the right track.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?